12.10.2011

moon for the misbegotten

Unless you've been living in a cave, you're aware that there was a full moon lunar eclipse this morning. I gathered up a bunch of cameras and embarked at 4:30 to see it at the beach. It was supposed to get all huge and red as it was setting and THAT I wanted to see.

some of the gear
yes, FILM!
Choosing which beach took some time. I opted for Playa Del Rey, but parking was tight - there were a bunch of cones set up blocking many of the spots. (Later I discovered it was for a film shoot of some sort).
I thought: PCH over Dockweiler - the higher angle might provide good shots with the palm trees in the foreground. I went and gave it a try:

It was a good angle, but I REALLY wanted to sit on the beach and hear the waves.
I went back to Playa Del Rey


the lifeguard shack made a good support when it was still dark



Of course I ran out the battery in the Lumix so I had to use my iPhone
The moon is a tiny speck in the next two shots



at this point, the moon was no longer visible.
I think it went behind some haze or clouds
I was slightly disappointed that I didn't see a giant orange orb set in the west. That, however, was vastly outweighed by the experience of sitting still on the beach, hearing the waves, watching the moon change, watching the sunrise...

I must go to the beach more often, I live so close.

The film shots will, of course, come later. Have to wait for the processing!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an incredible experience! I must have been living in a cave (well more like the last week of college classes), because I had no idea about the eclipse. But thank you for sharing your experience and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Megan! can't wait to see how the film shots come out.

    good luck with your finals and all that.

    ReplyDelete