9.06.2009

Another Batch of Chile Jam

I finally had some more NM chiles (from Deming this time, not Hatch) to experiment with and I tried the "Small Batch" recipe mentioned a couple of weeks ago. The chiles were rather mild + insipid, so I left all the seeds in. I'm hoping the jam will get hotter as it ages.
The recipe is called "Sparkling Sweet Pepper Jelly" and the results are very pretty -- it glows like a gem!

Recipe:
1-1/2 cups evenly diced peppers (= 3 NM chiles) can combine various types/colors*
3/4 c white wine vinegar (oops - just noticed the "wine" part -- I used plain white vinegar)
3 c granulated cane sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

1. Prepare jars, lids, set up work area

2. Combine peppers, vinegar, and sugar in large stainless steel or enamel pot. Bring to full boil over high heat. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly (so won't boil over). Add pectin, return to boil, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat.

3. Ladle into sterilized jars and seal. NOTE: jells up FAST!

yield: approx 3 cups

(adapted from "Small Batch Preserving" ISBN 1554072565)

*think I'll try it with jalapenos + serranos next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment