1.06.2013

Lentil Soup Recipe

I've been cooking up a storm of late. Here's a great lentil soup that's perfect for this cold time of the year.
I got the original recipe from Epicurious, and have been gradually modifying it ever since I downloaded it in 08.

Lentil Soup
makes about 12 cups

ingredients
• olive oil
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 med onion, chopped
• 2 med carrots, 1/8" slices
• 2 celery ribs, chopped [I don't add because I don't like celery]
• 3 - 4 small boiling potatoes, 1/2" dice
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tsp rosemary
• 1/2tsp thyme
• 1/2 tsp ground sage

• 8 c stock
• 16 oz lentils

• 1/4 c basalmic vinegar
garnish

• splash of olive oil
• fresh parsley, chopped fresh [not in photo -- didn't have]
• grated parmesan

Saute the first set of ingredients in a large saucepan until onion is soft
Add stock and lentils
Let come to a boil
Simmer for 20-45 min
NOTE: can add other veggies in a timely manner (so they don't turn to mush). Next time I'm including frozen spinach.
After lentils are cooked, remove from heat and add vinegar
Serve and add garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment