7.25.2010

an art retreat and a new batch of pastels

I spent a few days at Dorland Art Colony to rest and recharge with the intent of getting some new pastels done for my show in October.


The Colony completely burned to the ground during the 2004 Palomar wildfire. Originally there were 10 cabins, two have been rebuilt. I stayed in "Horton II"

here is my cottage

Neither of the cottages are set up for indoor messy studio art making. (I think there are plans to build a central studio). I was DETERMINED to get some work done, so I cobbled together a set-up that worked quite well. (Which makes me think - why don't I have this type of gumption at home, where I also lack a studio?)
my set-up on the porch


I am delighted to report that I completed five pastels (in three days)!

Big Orange Cloud, ©2010 Anne M Bray, pastel, 16 x 21"

I worked from photos that I captured on a cross country road trip taken last October. Most of the shots I used were from one leg between Williams and Kingman AZ. Pure serendipity that I drove it at sunset... I was booked at a Comfort Inn in Williams, but I couldn't locate the branch that had my reservation (Williams has three). I could tell that a good sunset was developing so I ate the room charge and reserved a room in Kingman. Worth every extra penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment