5.28.2017

Guava-Lemon Marmalade

Sheer ambrosia! Fantastic on plain yogurt.

[Originally posted 1/24/14. Updated and republished, 5/28/16] 
I've made some adjustments to what I originally had here.
I think it's better and easier now. 

Guava-Lemon Marmalade
yield 6 8oz jars
(adapted from this recipe by Jen on Just a Pinch. Her recipe is strictly guavas, no lemon)
Note: I'm still working this out, the latest batch I finely chopped the seeded lemon, but thinking that throwing it into the food processor with the guavas would be even easier. WIP notes to self in blue italics.

Ingredients

  • 20 medium sized ripe guavas
  • water as needed
  • 1 lemon, juiced, seeded, [rind and pulp cut into small dice? Or add chopped to processor?]
  • 3 c sugar
  • 1 pinch salt


Directions

  1. Wash and remove stems off the guavas, scoop out the seedy centers. (I discard, Jen uses).
  2. Cut the guava pulp with skin into quarters and place in a food processor to puree. [Add chopped lemon?] and juice, and enough water to help the mixture liquefy. Blend it really well.
  3. Combine puree with the sugar into a pot. 
  4. Cook on high until it comes to a boil, stirring constantly as to avoid sticking or burning.
  5. Add the pinch of salt and lower to medium heat, high enough so that it still bubbles. Continue to cook and stir occasionally for about 30 minutes. [Because of the added lemon, it gelled for me in 10 minutes].
  6. Decant into jars and process (I freeze).



2 comments:

  1. some supermarkets in the UK have mountains of Guava fruit just to make their fruit displays look exotic , I may be tempted when theyre giving them away because nobody knows what to do with them..Thanks chuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a concept!
      There's a very tall guava tree up the street, but I would need a fruit picker tool to reach the fruits. All the pedestrians have nabbed the low hangers.

      Delete