4.14.2016

A Date With the Past

Stan Ridgway played the Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts in Whittier last Saturday.
 I've been a HUGE fan since ye olden days.
The gig was part of a writers' conference at Whittier College, there was a Q&A with Stan beforehand. I jetted out of class at Otis (my students hate me now -- I've rushed out of class the past two weeks) to get to Whittier, meet up with my pal Dez, and get to the venue by 5.
Mission accomplished!

"Absolutely no photos allowed during the performance"
Empty stage with weird covered monoliths as a backdrop. What were they? 
Stan was in fine form, playing both hits and deep cuts. He was accompanied by Pietra Wexstun on vocals, electronics, and keyboards, and Rick King on guitar.

Afterwards, we got on the meet and greet line so that Dez could get a CD signed and ask Stan a question that she was unable to ask earlier.
"Who is your favorite monster?"
"Frankenstein. He was so childlike."
Thanks Stan!

I'm brewing up a Wall of Voodoo/ Stan Ridgway nostalgia project for SpyGirl, my fashion blog.
Expect it in May or June.
"I'll do it tomorrow..."

No comments:

Post a Comment